Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Chapter 14: Integrity and Availability

Chapter 14 dealt with the finer points of keeping a network working and useful, or, as the title indicates, maintaining integrity and availability.

Integrity is the soundness of a network - how reliable the OS and hardware are.

Availability is how much "uptime" the network has and how, well, available it is for the user to use.

This chapter covered a lot of very practical, day-to-day stuff. Backups, malware protection, and things like error log checking, redundancy, and so forth were covered, as well as power protection via generators and Uninterruptible Power Supplies, Network Attached Storage, Storage Area Networks, firewalls, RAID systems, and all sorts of other wonderful toys and procedures that make paranoid users like myself all warm and fuzzy inside. If it has to do with preparedness, efficiency, or protection, it's covered either by this chapter or chapter 12. I spent a good chunk of the time reading this feeling incredibly vindicated about a lot of stuff about responsible computing that I've told people over the years.

I loved this chapter, I loved the classroom discussion that followed, and I really look forward to this part of my future career. I like making things work better and keeping them working come what may.

No comments:

Post a Comment