Chapter 8 covered the various aspects of wireless networking. The chapter led off with a summary of the various frequencies used by wireless networks and spent some time discussing the various things that can cause trouble with wireless signals (anything but air, basically) and from there moved into WLAN architecture. Since WLANs don't have actual cables, their topologies are different than wired networks. It seems to primarily boil down to a P2P style ad hoc configuration or a star-like access point setup, though.
The chapter also spent some time on the IEEE 802.11b, 802.11a, 802.11g and the recently-released 802.11n standards, which govern most wireless networks in use today, and Bluetooth, which covers a sizeable chunk of the remaining ones.
The chapter also covered setting up a WLAN and also went into some detail on satellite data transmission.
Honestly, whenever I see "wireless," I cringe a little bit. It's less secure and less efficient than running cables, and I'm not a huge mobile device user. Still, it's good to know - it's just not my favorite topic.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment